Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Southside Johnny at Frankfurt airport

I met a real class act early one morning last week while passing through Frankfurt airport in Germany. Sitting among all his Asbury Jukes bandmates at a Starbucks coffeee shop was none other than Southside Johnny. I am a fan since the 1970's and I have been to two of his shows in the past couple years, and thoroughly enjoyed them by the way. Johnny is noted for being one of the big acts to come out of Asbury Park, NJ (the other big one was Bruce Springsteen - also John Eddie is one). Southside and co. have had a number of hits, among them are "the Fever", "Talk to Me" and "I don't want to go Home". I could tell you all about him but you are better off to visit his website if you want to know more (www.southsidejohnny.com).

When I noticed him he saw me looking so I said "Hi Johnny" and he shook my hand and said "What are YOU doing here?" which cracked me up. Then he invited me to sit down and we talked for 10 minutes or so before agreeing to have a picture or two taken with me for my collection.
MY advice to you: If you get the chance to see a Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes concert anytime- don't pass it up - they put on a great show, and it also turns out they are nice people too.

No comments: