Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Reluctants

Ever since my early teen years, I've wished that I could play guitar in a rock band. That dream became a reality for me when The Reluctants were formed early last year. I play rhythm guitar, and even sing on one song. I never thought that would happen when I was playing my air guitar as a young buck back where I grew up in Berkeley Heights, NJ .

When I was about 15 years old, a friend named Jeff Mason was the first person I knew who listed to album oriented rock (AOR) radio. He convinced me to shift my radio dial from AM77 WABC (top 40) to FM95.5 WPLJ (AOR). It seems that since then, I have been hooked on the likes of The Guess Who, The Who, Deep Purple, Bad Company, and Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO). That's the music I "rocked out" to and exactly the kind of music I wanted to be able to play.

The Reluctants play exactly that kind of stuff, mostly classic rock (music of the 1970's mostly). We do a few originals that were written by our lead guitar player, Glenn Shipp.

We get together once per week for a rehearsal. Presently we have about 40 songs "down pat" and are adding more each month.

This summer will be busy. We play some local bars & clubs in Phoenixville and Royersford, as well as two local towns' music series.

Please check out our website www.myspace.com/reluctantsmusic for more info.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you put a link to that article and give yourself another plug? It was a good article. People like your band.

McGov1258 said...

Mike, you are a genius (and also one of my newer guitar mentors). Here is the link http://www.phoenixvillenews.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/Daily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FPVN%2FEntertainment&r21.content=%2FPVN%2FEntertainment%2FHeadlineList_Story_2087939

Anonymous said...

Hey, is this blog still active????

Spenge said...

Mike- I thought you were really in the pocket in that tight version of Smoke on the Water. When I used to do back up for Grank Funk Railroad on "Locomotion" all those riffs were right out of the McGov Fakebook. So great you are still hanging with the band.

The Keyboard Kommuniste

Spenge said...

Mike- I thought you were really in the pocket in that tight version of Smoke on the Water. When I used to do back up for Grank Funk Railroad on "Locomotion" all those riffs were right out of the McGov Fakebook. So great you are still hanging with the band.

Pete- The Keyboard Kommie